Calton Hill, at the eastern end of Princes Street in Edinburgh, is surrounded on three sides by Regent Terrace, Calton Terrace and Royal Terrace, the last of these streets is pictured below.
It was William Henry Playfair, the renowned Scottish architect, who was responsible for the building of these prestigious streets, with the Royal Terrace being completed between 1820 and 1830. The Royal Terrace, which originally consisted of some very large townhouses (now mainly hotels), is the longest continuous stretch of Georgian architecture anywhere in Edinburgh.
William Playfair had intended his Calton Hill development to extend a fair distance to the north of London Road, and to rival the Edinburgh New Town development by James Craig in the late 18th century (to the north of Princes Street), but unfortunately the work was never fully completed.
The terrace has fine views over the Firth of Forth, and was known affectionately in the 19th century as ‘Whisky Row’. The reason for this, was probably due to the fact, that many of the residents of the Royal Terrace, were rich Spirit & Wine merchants, who could watch their ships returning from foreign trading trips.