The building was built on the location of an older Town House dating from 1771, which itself stood on the location of a yet older Town House built in the 17th century. The older of these two original buildings was demolished in the 18th century in order for Bridge Street to be built.
The present Dunfermline City Chambers was built between 1875 and 1879, by James C Walker, who also designed the nearby Carnegie Library. The building was historically designed to be the focus of local government and it still holds the Dunfermline Council Chambers, the Burgh Court and the Registrar’s Office. It is composed of a mix of Scots Baronial, Gothic and French architectural styles, all of which can clearly be seen in the eye-catching clock tower.
The structure includes some heraldic stones which are thought to have originated from the now derelict Dunfermline Palace just to its south. Inside the building are some historic police cells, and a magnificent oak hammer beam ceiling oversees the main council chamber.
On the side of the Dunfermline City Chambers decorative turrets can be seen, with both protruding and supporting gargoyles.
Just outside the main entrance to the chambers, there is an original old gas lamp (now probably lit by an electric bulb), which in Victorian times would have lit the corner of the Kirkgate and Bridge Street. All that’s missing now are a few horse drawn carriages, and men in top hats and tails, with lasses wearing bonnets and shawls, with corsets and evening gowns.